The members of the Junior League of Halifax believe in:
- The right to economic security and an adequate standard of living for all
- The potential of all children, women and families and commit to working on community-based initiatives that support this potential
- The benefit of working in partnership with organizations having a similar mission to address issues related to child/family poverty
The Junior League of Halifax, Inc. is deeply concerned about the high and growing rates of child/family poverty in Nova Scotia. We are equally concerned about the adverse effects of poverty on children’s/family’s self esteem, ability to learn, and overall health, including nutrition.
Addressing the issue of child/family poverty is complex; major reforms to national and provincial economic, social and employment policies are needed to improve the economic security of vulnerable families. The Junior League of Halifax, Inc. is committed to working in partnership with organizations having a similar mission on community-based initiatives that attempt to alleviate the negative effects of child/family poverty and that ultimately will lead to reductions in Nova Scotia’s child/family poverty rates.
We believe raising awareness of the issues and challenges facing children and families living in poverty will encourage more individuals and organizations to become active in initiatives that address broad social policy issues. Beyond the Junior League of Halifax, as individuals, we commit to increasing awareness and building support for action within and among our relative networks.
The members of the Junior League of Halifax value:
- The mission of the Junior League
- Making an impact in our community
- Measurable results
- New opportunities and new challenges
- Skill building and self improvement
- Fulfilling our commitments
- Working together
- Supporting each other
- Friendship and fun